Tuesday, February 3, 2009

New Week


Wow, it has been a bit since I last blogged. IT takes time to get this done and I get pretty loaded with homework so time to do this will ultimately suffer. Oh well...I will do my best to keep up...now that I know Chef Adam is reading this...lol.
BTW, he corrected me; the tip of his finger was not reattached. He lopped the tip off and the doctors couldn't reattach it. So I stand corrected.
We're off pastry and back to the cooking again. I am pretty happy to be cooking again. I had the week before pastry week as the Kitchen Manager and then right into pastry. I really enjoyed pastry week, very tasty and fun...a great learning experience. However, I really love/want to cook meals and gain the experience and techniques from Chef Adam and Chef Rebecca. They really are very good instructors & great chefs. He is a bit more laid back and she is a bit tougher, good cop/bad cop. But that actually works really well. The last instructors were very good as well, but I think these 2 work better together...very motivational.
So we made salmon roulade with a flat fish mousseline. Today it was beef tenderloin, tomorrow and Thursday is lamb and Friday its tenderloin again. One team will get a pork tender and the other will get to do the beef. We've started adding an amuse bouche to the meals now...a dessert as well. This takes it to a new level time wise and technique as well. We've done pretty well thus far but I hope we can improve a lot more.
I made the amuse today (the attached pic). It was a potato base cooked in oil and a salmon mousseline "patty" (poached it in plastic wrap to keep the shape like a patty) with a thin slice of radish, then some sour cream (the chef track class used all my creme fraische I made a couple weeks ago!) and a little sliver of lemon zest and small florette of dill. The salmon was made with salmon (duh) , 1/2 an egg white, 1/2 cup of cream, seasoning, a little dill and some lemon juice. I likes it as did many in the class (yea!). I also make a sauted veg for the main plate that was okay...swiss chard, not a favorite of most...a bit bitter. I tried to cut that with the seasoning and a little red wine vinegar but can't cover bitter too well.
Tomorrow I asked the team chef to be able to do the lamb...French rack! I love doing that...should be fun...

2 comments:

  1. tony, this is AWESOME. Please keep us posted....some of us actually enjoy reading your blogs. You started it and set an expectation with us all that you would write EVERYDAY!!!!! ok, got that out. Anyway, it looks like you're having fun. So happy and proud of you both. read ya later!!!

    Bondo

    ReplyDelete
  2. bad cop, huh?!?
    call it tough love instead....
    :)

    ReplyDelete